Time for a little creative inspiration with me, Elaineabella, for Stamp It Saturday.
Create a Galaxy Background with Distress Oxides:
You may recall previous posts showing how I created galaxy (or more accurately probably a nebula!) backgrounds using Copic markers. If you missed them, here are some links!
- Marker Geek Monday: Give Your Cards the Wow Factor with a Galaxy Background (Copics)
- Copic Galaxy Video & CAS Card Design (on my own blog)
I love colouring these backgrounds using Copics, it can be quite relaxing. It does however, take a bit of time and patience, which are both often in short supply! A much quicker and easier way to achieve a gorgeous background effect is to use ink blending! Both Distress Inks and Distress Oxides are great for this. My preference now tends toward Distress Oxides, because I love the soft finish they give, the ease with which they blend and the ability to layer colour on colour.
Here’s how I created the background. This isn’t the only way to achieve the look – play around with adding different colours in different areas, layering and blending.
I used Strathmore Bristol Vellum Surface paper – I find the ink glides over it beautifully, and I like the way it behaves when water is added (test out your papers – different papers give different results when you ink and then add water, which can give a variety of cool effects).
Before adding more ink I dried with my heat tool, this allows the Distress Oxide colours to layer on top of each other. I then started adding more ink – there’s no rule here, I just wasn’t quite happy with the piece, so I layered more ink.
I dried the piece before spritzing with water.
Practice spritzing to see how your spray bottle behaves and what pressure/distance you need to get the effect/spray pattern you would like!
I then blotted with a paper towel before drying with my heat tool.
I added some more Black Soot around the edges and dried the piece again using my heat tool. I then decided I wanted a more intense black at the edges to frame the piece, so I added Black Soot Distress Ink over the top (then heat set a final time).
BONUS TIP: When putting the final card together I found that the background paper was fighting a little with the focal point of the card (I used the same Prima paper Capricorn’s dress is paper pieced from). I used a piece of vellum to help soften the effect, and added some embossed stars using Versamark Ink, a stencil and Ranger Liquid Platinum embossing powder (also used for the sentiment). If your background paper is pulling focus, try adding some vellum over the top to knock it back a touch!
Over To You!
If you are posting your images online, we would love to see them on Instagram and all the platforms mentioned above. To make it easier for us to find you just use #markergeekmonday and/or #stampingbella as a hashtag. Even better tag me @markergeek and @stampingbella . We love it when you connect, so don’t be shy!
If you’re on Facebook join us in our private chat group Stamping Bella Sistahood to share your creations there and chat all things Stamping Bella related!
Until next time, HAPPY STAMPING!